Hats, scarves, socks and mitts are necessities in Canada’s harsh climate. For some kids in Windsor and Essex County, they’re a luxury.
Keeping Kids Warm is a small community organization that knits winter essentials for children and donates them to 12 schools to distribute. It was established four years ago when Lynn Robertson realized if children did not have enough money for breakfast, they likely did not have clothes to stay warm.
“A lot of those kids go to school with no socks or boots. They don’t have any boots. They don’t have any socks, or their socks are wet. They’re needy kids, they need it,” said Robertson, founder of the organization.
The group received a $1,000 from the Windsor Family Credit Union‘s (WFCU) Community Donations Fund on Tuesday. They will be using the money to buy yarn, mitts and socks.
“If we don’t have the money from WFCU, then the kids don’t get as much,” said Robertson.
The organization was awarded $500 last year. They were able to knit and buy 2,806 mitts, scarves and hats from it. This year’s $500 extra will likely increase that number.
The WFCU awarded $25,000 to 20 organizations in the community on Tuesday. From more than 70 submissions, they picked a mix of small and large groups that need funding for specific items or projects. Each year, the company sets aside an amount from its net income to give back to the community.
“This whole day is dedicated to giving back to the community, to giving back to organizations,” said Martin Komsa, President and CEO of WFCU.
Other Organizations receiving funding
- A Book of My Own
- Arts Collective Theatre
- Autism Services Incorporated of Windsor and Essex County
- Brain Injury Association of Windsor/Essex County
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- Drouillard Place
- Essex County Diversion Program Inc.
- Family Respite Services Windsor-Essex
- Harmony in Action
- House of Sophrosyne
- Pajama Angels
- Place du Partage
- Revolution Youth Theatre
- Riverside Minor Baseball Association
- Tecumseh Vista Academy School Student Parliament
- The Naturalized Habitat Network of Essex County & Windsor
- Windsor & Essex County Crime Stoppers Inc.
- Camp Brombal
- Windsor Residence for Young Me